Sunday, August 14, 2011

first encounters with dance

I cannot believe it is the middle of August already. Holy canole where does time go? I haven't posted in a while, but I've been keeping the motor running...contemplating the beginning of new works, the possibilities of re-visiting choreographic ideas that have already seen performance, and thinking a lot lately about the teaching of dance and how we instruct children to use their bodies as a medium for artistic pursuits. 

Oh boy...what is art...what is the value of "self-expression"...how do we make "good dancers"...can they be "made"...ahh! So much to talk about. But as a dance teacher, I am acutely aware that I introduce my own ideas about the dancing body, aesthetics, and self-discipline to students as young as 2 years old to young adults.

I'm highly interested in how people meet dance for the first time, and how that encounter shapes their perceptions and the ongoing evolution of their relationship to dance culture. I've asked the members of for change dance collective to share a little bit of their personal histories and philosophies, and I find it speaks to the kind of dancers and dance-makers they have become. I hope you enjoy their revelations as much as I do =).

<3 Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment